|Twisp has a population of
about 950. Located at the confluence of the Twisp and Methow rivers, Twisp
and the surrounding area are a year-around paradise offering abundant sunshine,
generous snowfall and is teaming with wildlife, including bald eagles,
white-tailed and mule deer, cougars, bears, even elk and moose on occasion.
Twisp was originally platted in 1897,
and officially incorporated on August 13, 1909.
The town of Twisp Washington, whose
origins stretch back to two short-lived gold booms in 1858 and 1880. But
it wasn't until August 5, 1897, that Henry C. Glover established Gloversville
(now Twisp) as the first recorded town plat in the Methow. Five months
later, on January 22, 1898, Twisp was officially a name on the map, just
nine years after Washington Territory became the 42nd state. The word Twisp
is a modification of the native-American word, "T-wapsp", which means "yellow
Jacket", and "Twistsp", which means "sound of the buzzing wasp". The sunflower
capital of the state and the eastern gateway to the North Cascades National
Park, Twisp was largely dependent upon logging until the mid-1980s. Today,
the principle industries include lumber, cattle ranching, agriculture.